Monday, April 23, 2012

Earth Day and Agriculture

Yesterday was Earth Day. At home, my parents were working tirelessly to keep up with the baby calves that seem to be popping up like wildflowers on our three-generation farm these days. My uncle was planting the seeds for this year's crops of canola, wheat, and barley in efforts to beat the rain forecasted for later this week. I was studying, studying, and doing some more studying in preparation for my next two finals. One of those finals happens to be World Food and Agriculture, focusing on sustainable agriculture methods to lessen poverty in third world countries. So I suppose I didn't completely miss out on Earth Day.


While all of this was happening, my friend Fawn made a video. Fawn is the Manager of Environmental Affairs at the Canadian Cattlemen's Association, which means it's her job every day to manage environmental issues facing the cattle industry, and work with government, industry, and international partners to seek out sustainable solutions for those issues. 


This video highlights just a few of the hard-working farmers and ranchers who celebrate Earth Day everyday by caring for their land and livestock. I hope that this video inspires you to learn more about what farmers are doing to be more sustainable, and ask a farmer personally when you have questions.



Happy Belated Earth Day :)

3 comments: