Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Agvocacy on the Net

Since I started this whole #agblog thing a few months ago, I've realized that the presence of agriculture online is far larger than I had previously known.

I'm following a number of blogs and websites, and I'm more or less a full-blown Twitter creep. These young ladies have had a few of the most compelling and thought provoking ag-related blogs this week, so I thought I'd share with you. Prepare to be enlightened.



#1: Where Your Steak Comes From, a guest blog by a meat locker heiress, Jenny Dewey, on Meg Brown's agriculture blog.I learned a ton about how each cut is removed from the beef and prepared for wrapping. I love Meg's concept of being more transparent in agriculture, and specifically, the beef industry. Things like slaughter or calving are often considered too gruesome to share with the public, but Meg points to that fact as one of the leading causes of the disconnect between people and their food. I encourage you to check out the rest of the posts on Meg's blog, too.
Follow Meg on Twitter @MegRaeB.



#2: I've Got a Bone to Pick with "Agvocacy", an opinion piece on her blog by Kelly Rivard, hits the nail on the head. I'll let you read the blog to form your own opinions on it. Personally, I completely agree with her in that just because we as farmers feed the world, doesn't mean we should carry a sense of entitlement around when communicating with consumers. We need to remind ourselves that we're doing a service for society just like everyone else is in their jobs, and we need to be on the consumer's level to effectively communicate.
Follow Kelly on Twitter @KMRivard.



#3 Conversations with consumers in the "Reduced for Quick Sale" section of the meat counter is agricultural journalist Celeste Harned's account of a recent opportunity to educate and be educated about buying food. When telling our agricultural story, it's easy to overlook the fact that it can be done a day at a time and in the simplest of places. I find random conversations in grocery stores or fast food venues to be the best places to lend some ag knowledge to a customer who has questions about the safety or difference in varieties of meats. Celeste did a great job of teaching this person about meat safety and what to look for depending on what you're cooking.
Follow Celeste on Twitter @CelesteHarned.

I hope you'll check out these articles and keep reading their blogs for great insights in agriculture. These are just a few of my favorites. Look for more "feature" posts like this on my blog in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the shout out! I am so glad my guest blog is getting so much attention and is so well received! The past week has been pretty awesome seeing it being passed on. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete