Monday, July 18, 2011

Calgary Stampede and Summer Synergy Recap

Friends, I'm not even sure where to start on this one.

I have a lot of exciting things to tell you. They all worked together to create the tired, sunburnt, brain-dead, star-struck mess that is currently writing this to you. Any thoughts are not my own but the direct influence of 11 days at the Calgary Stampede and a cattle show.

Miss Blogs-a-lot (name courtesy of my family) has achieved victory! As some of you may know, this blog was created as part of the Summer Synergy Youth Livestock Marketing Compeition. There were approximately 55 other blogs created, which you can still see here. And guess what?! We won!

Cowhide bag courtesy of Saddle Barn in Roswell, New Mexico. I want 7. One will do just fine.

I say "we" because without your loyal following, viewing, and commenting, I probably would have given up on this sharing-my-life-with-the-internet deal. But you people rocked me to almost 90 followers and 7000 views in the last two months, and for that, you win too. You can't have my prize, though. It's awesome.

Summer Synergy didn't quit with the awesomeness there. I scored a hefty scholarship which will go right into my booze school fund.

Getting our scholarships on the stage during the Chuckwagon Races
My heifers, the pretty gals you met here, had a blast being pampered at the show and finished 5th and 3rd in their classes. Impact took me for a little run around the ring at the end of her class, no doubt to prove some sort of point, but I made sure she didn't win that little battle. Then I fed her copious amounts of grain, hay, water, and made sure she stayed cool under the fan. Spoiled brat.

I actually got to see the rodeo a few times this year, and cheered on my future husband, Tuf Cooper. The highlight of the week may have been shooting a roping demo with Tuf and CBC Kids.

Tuf showing the CBC Kids crew how to rope
My role as Ag Media Intern also included crowd control for camera crews, gathering stories for news outlets, taking pictures to Tweet, and maintaining the Calgary Stampede Agriculture Facebook Page. Working with Ag Media was an outstanding opportunity. The ladies were incredibly talented and willing to steer me in the right direction, and the job itself was fun and interesting. The volunteer pass I was given also served as VIP privileges to the country bar Ranchman's...not that I took full advantage or anything.

Sam & I were excited about Ranchman's showing some Alberta Beef love.
We love you too, Ranchman's.
I had the opportunity to help share agriculture's story with news sources that reach hundreds of thousands of people. I had conversations with the public, both in person and online, about where their food comes from. The Calgary Stampede is a fantastic place for people to learn about animal agriculture and the great things we're doing. I can't wait to make my career out of this.

So I'm a few dollars richer, lacking a lot of sleep, and incredibly excited for what a future in Agriculture Communications involves. I'd call that a success, people!

Huge thank you to the Calgary Stampede Ag Media Committee and Summer Synergy Committee for all of your hard work and dedication to making the last week a success! 

5 comments:

  1. Rosie! Congratulations!! Agriculture is lucky to have an advocate such as yourself! What a great role model you are to all the youth out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats girl!!!! And sorry I missed you on the grounds or at Ranchman's, but you'll invite me to the wedding when you marry Tuf right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you kiddo- you have done a great job with this blog and the scholarship was well deserved! I can't wait to see what you accomplish in the next few years- we really enjoyed having you on the committee and if you are around next year at Stampede time (where else would you be?!) you are more than welcome to join us again and give us a hand with our social media endeavours!
    Thanks for your enthusiasm and hard work and all the best in the coming year!
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all of your support- couldn't have done it without you ladies :)

    Suzie, you can absolutely come to the wedding! Perhaps lend some styling and decorating help?

    It was an amazing week, Annemarie! I loved being on the committee and learned so much. Hopefully next summer works out to join the team again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a BEAUTIFUL picture of you and Sam. A plus photography skills. And I bet whoever took it was super cool.

    ReplyDelete