Sunday, June 19, 2011

Thank you, Dad.

This Father's Day, I'm honoring the man who made it possible for me to live the life I do. I love that I've had the opportunity to grow up in the country, and have cattle and farming be central to my life.

But this wasn't always how he thought it would end up.

Dad at 15
You see, my Dad grew up on the same farm we live on today. But at 18, he went to the University of Lethbridge to pursue a degree in...physical education. Yes, my Dad, the master of the pasture, the man who serves on about 7 different cattle and breed boards, and the ranch-roping fiend, at one point in his life, thought he was going to end up a gym instructor.
My Dad at his U of L graduation
When my Dad was 23, his older brother fell off a bale stack at the farm and broke both of his arms. Dad had finished his degree at this point and was travelling in Mexico with a high school friend. After hearing about his brother's accident, my Dad headed home back to the farm. He hasn't left yet.

Ranch roping is Dad's favorite new hobby
My father, always the cattleman, and his brother the avid farmer, worked out a succession plan between them and my grandfather. XTC Herefords incorporated, dividing the duties of the farm by the respective interests of my dad and uncle. This is still the system we have today, with my dad and our family primarily in charge of the cattle and my uncle and his family on the crop side.

So, here we are. A farm family that may not have been without a few special circumstances. And we couldn't be any happier that it worked out this way.

Here's how I thanked my Dad today:

It's a BBQ Brander- A mini branding iron for your beef!

Just slide the message in, heat on the BBQ, and brand!

I think Dad was pretty happy with it. Can't wait to use it on the steaks tonight!

Happy Father's Day Dad! And thank you for not becoming a gym instructor.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful tribute to your dad on Father's Day! And I love the BBQ Brander - my dad would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great gift! I got my stepfather a KSU brander for Christmas several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to hear the family history! And have always wanted one of those mini branders:) I'm sure your dad will get some good use out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sounds like a wonderful man to come home when his family needed him - and stayed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, ladies!

    Dad loves his brander, we used it on the steaks last night. And he is quite wonderful, we're lucky to have him :) I hope you all had a great Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete