Monday, May 9, 2011

Meet Your Farmer!

A great new website was recently brought to my attention by my fabulous mentor, Dianne Finstad, who I will hopefully have a chance to blog about later. She sent this link to me after it was recognized by the Canadian Federation of Agriculture for outstanding Agriculture Awareness and Education. It is a project of the Nova Scotia Federation of Agriculture..so far. But my agvocavy wheels are already spinning with how much further an idea like this could go! Before you read on, check out the Meet Your Farmer website!


As you can see, the goal of the website is to create a consumer-friendly space for people to feel like they are interacting with and getting to know the people growing their food. It seems to me like the next best thing to a real live farm visit, which are far more difficult to get people interested in. I think the NSFA has done a great job of showcasing the honest, hard-working food producers as just that. 

The best part is the diversity in the operations they've highlighted. Care for the environment and sustainable practices are common to all the bios and videos, no matter what type of farm they run. They even provide contact info of the farmers if you have more questions or would like to schedule a visit.

I'm sure I haven't found a one-of-kind-site here. Many more with the same general goals are popping up on the web, where they can be easily accessed by consumers. I am quite sure, however, that this is the only one of it's kind in Canada. So what are we waiting for? 

I like to think I have a similar goal in creating this blog. I want to teach people about agriculture in the best way I know how- by giving them an honest look at what I do everyday. So check out the website, I assure you you'll learn something about agriculture you didn't know before. And if you yourself are an agricultural advocate, use it as inspiration to tell your own story! I like to think the Canada-wide version of Meet Your Farmer isn't too far off either.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool website Rosie! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosie thanks for sharing the webpage I think that we should have one for AB. Also thats for posting my blog on your page.

    I love your blog. And will be following.
    Wyatt

    hansonsranch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete