Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Masters of Beef Advocacy

I've been approved to get my Master's!

Okay..so not the kind you're thinking of. But one that will probably be as useful as any formal education as far as my future career goals go. I'm taking my Masters of Beef Advocacy, a National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) program funded by the Beef Checkoff. It's an online program consisting of 6 modules that should take me a few weeks to complete.
Photo credit

I first heard about the MBA Program in Denver, CO in Januray at the International Livestock Congress. I've wanted to find a way to get involved since then, and in April, I did. Cattlemen's Beef Board member Ann Anderson travelled to Edmonton, Alberta to speak to various media and cattle groups, including the Cattlemen's Young Leaders. I attended a presentation by her as a CYL Graduate where she went into detail about the MBA program and how we could get involved. It is an American program, but she opened the applications to the CYL Graduates and current leaders. Last week I sent my application in, and this week I'm beginning my modules!

So what exactly does an MBA Graduate leave the program with? Here's a basic overview of the six online modules:

• Modern Beef Production – Sharing the many benefits of modern, efficient U.S. beef production
• Animal Care – Explaining our commitment to  raising healthy animals
• Beef Safety – Communicating why producing safe food for consumers is a top priority
• Beef Nutrition – Explaining how great-tasting beef strengthens and sustains our bodies
• Environmental Stewardship – Sharing how we’re protecting the environment for future generations
• The Beef Checkoff – Communicating the value of your investment in growing demand for beef

Source: beef.org

Photo credit
This is me doing my part to make sure that I'm as knowledgeable as possible about the industry I'm advocating for. I want to learn the most useful tools and methods to communicate with consumers. I'll make sure to keep you all updated with interesting things I learn and do during my program. If you've completed it, I'd love to hear from you!



2 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic program and I'm sure you will great as a beef advocate! Looking forward to hearing about your speaking engagements regarding the beef industry:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! It sounds like a great tool for you as your career and life move forward. Looking forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete