Thursday, May 26, 2011

Countdown to DC

In 13 days, I'll be headed south and eastbound to Washington, D.C for the opportunity of a lifetime.

I'm going to speak to the members of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association Young Cattlemen's Conference about the Canadian beef industry and trade. The group will be composed of cattlemen and women aged 25-50, with a cross-nation tour of America's beef industry starting in Denver and ending in DC.

My first trip to DC in 2010 for a 4-H conference
So what's a ranch girl from Alberta, Canada doing there? Reaping the rewards of being involved in a great youth organization, that's what! I've told you before about the Cattlemen's Young Leaders program which I graduated from this April. At the wrap-up banquet, I gave a speech on my experiences that was noticed by an NCBA member. She requested that me and Fawn, the current Policy Analyst for the Canadian Cattlemen's Association, travel to meet the NCBA YCC group to talk about issues concerning Canadian cattlemen.

And here we are- 2 weeks away. I'll be spending as much time as possible between now and then gearing up for the trip and preparing our presentation. I'll be brushing up on my knowledge of Canada-US trade, traceability, and policies like Country of Origin Labeling. And of course, working on my Masters of Beef Advocacy.

This is where I'll need your help, readers! I'm going to be posting about those issues a lot in the next two weeks, and your feedback is essential. Whether you boast an agricultural education, farm or ranch background, or want to know about these issues as a consumer, you can help me fine-tune my presentation and prepare for any questions that may be asked my the group. So I'm inviting your questions and comments(which I always love) even more than usual!

If you are a Canadian involved in agriculture, what key issues do you think need to be voiced with a group of young to middle-aged American cattlemen?

If you are an American in agriculture, what Canadian beef industry issues would you like to know more about?

YCC Class of 2010

Thanks for the help, friends- stay tuned for my first research post.

2 comments:

  1. So excited to hear about your trip! Thanks for representing Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura! It's coming up right away here, I'm doing my best to get prepared. I'll try to do Canada proud!

    ReplyDelete